We review the best thoughts of the Spanish playwright.
Jacinto Benavente (Madrid, 1866 – 1954) was one of the most prominent Spanish playwrights and film producers of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
His immense and prolific work in the scenic field led him to be awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1922.
Famous phrases and quotes by Jacinto Benavente
Jacinto Benavente wrote works of all dramaturgical genres: dramas, comedies, skits, tragedies. .. His expressiveness was based on the naturalness of the characters, the realism with which he worked the most complex plots. In addition, the experts coincide in pointing out the exceptional quality of his works not only from the theatrical aspect, but also in the depth of the lexicon and his command of the Castilian language.
In today’s article we have proposed to compile the best famous quotes and phrases by Jacinto Benavente, to get closer to the life and work of this Madrid playwright.
1. There is no dangerous reading. Evil never enters through intelligence when the heart is healthy.
A deep reflection on the benefits of reading.
2. Dictators can reform laws; but not the customs.
Jacinto Benavente speaks to us in this sentence about the influence of culture in a society.
3. Love is like Don Quixote: when it regains its senses, it is there to die.
When we try to make love emerge from our rational part… everything is lost.
4. Blessed are our imitators, for theirs will be all our defects!
A fundamental value in Benavente’s work: originality.
5. Discipline consists of an idiot being obeyed by those who are more intelligent.
A famous quote by Jacinto Benavente that shows us his soul as a freethinker.
6. There is no feeling that is worth; love is an occupation like any other.
A thought that can be interpreted in different ways.
7. When you don’t think what you say is when you say what you think.
8. In matters of love, the crazy people are those who have more experience. Never ask the sane about love; the sane love sane, which is like never having loved.
A necessary reflection on love and how it only expresses itself in unreasonable ways.
9. The enemy only begins to be fearsome when he begins to be right.
If your enemy has better arguments than you … start to worry.
10. The worst thing the bad guys do is force us to doubt the good guys.
A way of expressing that the powerful sometimes try to make citizens fight each other.
11. If murmuring the truth can still be the justice of the weak, slander cannot be anything other than the revenge of the cowards.
Benavente shows us some of the keys to his ethical thinking.
12. There is nothing so desperate as seeing our feelings misinterpreted.
Do you know what kinds of feelings exist ?
13. If people heard our thoughts, few of us would escape being locked up by madmen.
Without the filter of rationalization, we could all be considered mentally deranged.
14. Irony is a sadness that cannot cry and smiles.
Knowing how to use irony and sarcasm is essential for a good playwright.
15. As in debts, there is no other honesty than paying them.
Another phrase by Jacinto Benavente in which he exposes his moral convictions.
16. Many believe that having talent is luck; no one that luck can be a matter of having talent.
What are your personal talents? It is these that can catapult you to success.
17. More men unite to share the same hatred than the same love.
Having a common enemy tightens ties more than anything else.
18. It’s easier to be cool than to have common sense.
A phrase that explains itself.
19. A fixed idea always seems like a great idea, not because it is big, but because it fills a whole brain.
The mind of geniuses is open and has the ability to add more knowledge and experiences. The same is not true of dogmatic minds.
20. He who is jealous is never jealous of what he sees; what you imagine is enough.
There are different types of jealousy and people are usually jealous because of their propensity to imagine things that are not real.
21. True love is not known by what it demands, but by what it offers.
Benavente makes it clear that true love tends to be supportive.
22. Money cannot make us happy, but it is the only thing that compensates us for not being so.
A great reflection on the ability of money to mobilize us.
23. Many good people who would be incapable of stealing money from us, unscrupulously steal the time we need to earn it.
A critique of the capitalist system that could have been a famous phrase from Karl Marx himself.
24. Honor is not earned in one day so that it can be lost in one day. Who in an hour can stop being honest, is that he never was.
Good repute is a value that is distinguished by being consistent over time.
25. In the fight, the soldier is known; only in victory is the knight known.
In different contexts we know the true character of each person.