Several reflections on the way in which we face distance from those we love.
Phrases about distance in personal relationships fill the literature focused on human emotions. Although sometimes we take for granted that the important thing in affection and love is the person herself, the truth is that something as simple as distance can completely change the way we experience that bond.
Phrases about distance in relationships
Distance is a physical element that is beyond human control and is part of our lives. Normally, people do not choose distance from what they love, even in the most difficult moments, since the consequence of that situation is usually a feeling of longing and emotional conflict.
They are stages or situations that are very difficult to manage and that people tend to live intensely, with a sense of drama. Below you will find several of the most inspiring phrases about distance, written or spoken by people famous for their art or their thinking.
1. Nothing makes the earth seem as wide as having friends at a distance (Henry David Thoreau)
It happens to all of us when friends leave to live abroad.
2. You will not realize how far you have traveled until you look around and understand how far you have come (Sasha Azevedo)
Distance is not always a negative concept.
3. Distance has the same effect on the mind as it does on the eye (Samuel Johnson)
One of the aphorisms about distance that talks about perception and biases.
4. From a distance it is something; and from the proximity it is nothing (Jean de Lafontaine)
Sometimes things look different with distance.
5. A friend is someone who allows distance, but is never far (Noah)
If there is interest, the affection is not lost.
6. Distance is to love what the wind is to fire: it turns off the little one, but enlivens the big one (Chufo Lloréns)
Many are skeptical of long distance relationships.
7. The distance is temporary, but our love is permanent (Ben Harper)
This phrase is intended to minimize the distance between two loved ones.
8. True friends never part, perhaps in the distance, but never in the heart (Helen Keller)
This phrase insists on the strength of emotion, above that of distance.
9. In true love the smallest distance is too great (Henri Nouwen)
Once again, feelings affect this number concept.
10. We were wrapped in cotton, in moss, in fog, in the sea, in the taste of a distance that has to be annihilated (Anaïs Nin)
The famous American writer describes a love scene like this.
11. Sometimes it is necessary to go very far, out of the way, in order to return to the correct distance (Edward Albee)
Sometimes you have to go far to find the right path.
12. Some people are separated by distances that they can never cross (Lisa Kleypas)
We can all lose our loved ones and never hear from them again.
13. The most sinister aspect of Jack is his detachment, his ability to distance himself from his feelings (Victor Garber)
The famous actor described with this phrase one of the characters he represented.
14. Suffering is the distance between what we are oriented towards and what it is (Nirmala)
A good phrase to define these situations.
15. True friendship resists time, distance and silence (Isabel Allende)
If you want, you can maintain a relationship, with effort.
16. There are no distances when you have a reason (Jane Austen)
Austen downplays the distance again.
17. I have spent my life judging the distance between the American reality and the American dream (Bruce Springsteen)
Excellent reflection of the American rocker.
18. Love is not love that is transformed with change, or moves away with distance (William Shakespeare)
Love is without a doubt the strongest barrier against distance.
52. We had to be long distance parents, which is far from satisfactory (Jeffrey Hunter)
The parent / child relationship can hardly be discussed from a distance.
20. Distance is a bad excuse for not having a good relationship with someone (James McAvoy)
An ingenious reflection.
21. There is no distance of place or span of time that can diminish the friendship of those who are completely convinced of the value of each one (Robert Southey)
On the importance of emotional connections.
22. Idealism increases in direct proportion to the distance from the problem (John Galsworthy)
Harsh criticism of those who believe in utopia.
23. One thing is very important when time and distance cannot reduce its size (Zora Neale)
One of the most important figures in black America gives us his opinion on the subject.
24. United by an invisible thread that could only exist between two people like them: two solitudes that recognized each other (Paolo Giordano)
Loneliness is often related to distance.
25. We are creating a unique experience. It starts with the way you see him from a distance (Helmut Jahn)
For an architect, distances are an advantage, not a disadvantage.
26. The man who says he is willing to meet halfway has a wrong judgment about distance (Laurence J. Peter)
Interesting reflection on this type of negotiations.
27. There is never distance, there is no space between us (Anna Todd)
If two people love each other, the distance does not have to sentence the relationship.
28. Laughter is the closest distance between two people (Victor Borge)
The Danish comedian reproduced this phrase in one of his performances.
29. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line (Archimedes)
Who better than a mathematician to make metaphors about distance?
30. We must judge people by the distance they have traveled from where they started (Henry Ward Beecher)
One of the keys to measuring the success of people.
31. There is an immeasurable distance between mid-afternoon and too late (Og Mandino)
Sometimes it is a thin layer that separates the tragedy from the solution.
32. It’s nice to have some distance from your family. Whenever you are closer to them for love (Olivier Martinez)
Family is one of the most appropriate topics to talk about at a distance.
33. Because time is the longest distance between two places (Tennessee Williams)
Distance can be measured in time equally …
34. Distance not only gives nostalgia, but perspective, and perhaps objectivity (Robert Morgan)
Walking away redirects the situation.
35. All of us are experts in practicing virtue at a distance (Theodore Hesburgh)
Virtue or weakness?
36. Long distance relationships are another way to avoid intimacy (Danielle Steel)
A priori, distance can never be healthy in a romantic relationship.
37. Mobile phones help to be connected to those who are at a distance. Cell phones allow those who connect to keep their distance. (Zygmunt Bauman)
A critique of mobile devices as a means of communication.
38. I think it is important for one to take a certain distance from oneself (Vaclav Havel)
It is another of those moments necessary to meet again.
39. And it has always been known that love does not know its own depth until the time of separation (Khalil Gibran)
Profound words from the Arab writer and poet.
40. I fell in love with her being together, and then more in the years we were apart (Nicholas Sparks)
We have all found ourselves in these situations.
41. You already know that trying to keep my distance with me is not going to change my feelings (John Green)
With this phrase, Green confessed to his lover.
42. Across great distances, through chasms of chance. Because he comes from so far, nothing can separate us (Ursula Le Guin)
On the positive connotation at a distance.
43. Distance that beautifies things and clears them (Julia Navarro)
One of the most poetic phrases about distance.
44. Every living being is a machine adapted to the wheel of the universe, the external sphere of influence extends to an infinite distance (Nikola Tesla)
This is how the Serbian scientist describes what distance means to him.
45. Let them say that I love you the stars, the distant rumors, the distance (Jaime Sabines)
Distance can also represent many good things.
46. I believe in a sovereign God who sets divine appointments half a world away (Mark Batterson)
Good phrase to represent the being that we do not see.
48. Put distance and try to keep the smile (Stephen King)
Distance should not allow us to lose optimism.
49. Do we need distance to be close? (Sarah Jessica Parker)
The American actress left the Hollywood world to come back stronger.
50. Distance makes love grow (Simone Elkeles)
It seems to be an inherent quality of the human being.
51. Distance does not break friendship, only its activity (Aristotle)
If you like, friendship is preserved at all costs.