A selection of reflections from one of the great political figures of Chile and Latin America.
Salvador Guillermo Allende Gossens (1908 – 1973) is surely, after Fidel Castro or Ché, one of the most important socialist politicians in Latin America at the end of the 20th century. Having studied medicine at the University of Chile, he showed his interest in leftist ideology.
Salvador Allende was co-founder and later Secretary General of the Chilean Socialist Party, until he became president in 1973, when he was assassinated as a result of a coup by Augusto Pinochet’s Military Junta to establish a dictatorship supported by the United States.
The most famous phrases of Salvador Allende
Below you will find a selection of the most famous Salvador Allende phrases.
1. History is ours and the peoples make it
Allende always entrusted himself to the popular struggle.
2. In a new year it would be very nice to tell you that everything will be easy; unfortunately not so
The mandate began in troubled times and with fierce opposition.
3. Being young and not being a revolutionary is even a biological contradiction
This is how the president saw what it was to be young.
4. You have to explain to people why this happens (stockout)
It was one of the great tricks that the socialist government had to circumvent.
5. I would resign if the workers of Chile demanded it of me.
Salvador Allende declared himself a subject of the working class.
6. There will not be a President who commits suicide, because the people will know how to respond
The pressure on the president became such that he made him utter such words.
7. Never before did people have purchasing power and it turns out that industries were not in relation to the delivery of their products
Despite the income that the people had, the Chilean country suffered a property blockade.
8. A punishment for cowardice and violence that traditional sectors put into campaign
Large transnational companies were the first enemy of the government.
9. There will not be a fratricidal war because the Government and the people will prevent it
Above all, Allende was a pacifist. He never wanted to confront anyone with weapons.
10. My predecessors, in six years, never named a worker at all
Clear and concise.
11. They want us to make workers believe that companies should be their property
Common were his criticisms of businessmen.
12. Chilean workers: winter is ending and promising economic horizons appear before us
Thus he warned the people of the future.
13. They tell them that they should be the owners of the copper, the coal, the saltpeter. How would the country go!
Chilean natural resources were always in foreign hands.
14. These are my last words and I am certain that my sacrifice will not be in vain
He died firm with his ideas and convinced of his legacy.
15. A worker without a job is a man who has the right to work and we must give it to him.
For Allende the priority was the welfare of the workers.
16. It does not matter if a worker is or is not a Marxist, it does not matter whether or not he is a Christian, it does not matter that he has no political ideology
Surprising statements, showing tolerance towards all workers.
17. The revolution is made by the peoples, the revolution is made, essentially, by the workers
The people are the possessors of their destiny.
18. Is it fair for man to set foot on the moon? Or would it not be fairer for the great countries to put their feet on the ground and realize that there are millions of people who do not have work and who suffer from hunger
With this phrase he declared his concern about unemployment.
19. The revolution does not pass through the university, and this must be understood, the revolution passes through the great masses
If there is no union, there is no struggle or freedom.
20. I address the youth, those who sang and gave their joy and their fighting spirit
Even with his advanced age, he entrusted all his knowledge to future generations.
21. The man of the industrial countries has reached the moon dominating nature
He was very critical of the industrialized powers that be.
22. History will judge them
History never lies.
23. Long live Chile! Long live the people! Long live the workers!
Euphoric as ever, that’s how most of his rallies ended.
24. I am every day more in favor of women
Salvador Allende pioneered feminism in Latin America.
25. Know that the great avenues through which the free man passes will be reopened to build a better society
He always appealed to a promising future.
26. Workers of my country: I have faith in Chile and its destiny
He was always confident and excited about his political project.
27. We want a dignified, independent and sovereign future
These are typical values of socialism.
28. The Chilean population will now give us the responsibility of putting it into practice and realizing what Chile deserves
He never felt above his own. He always put the people first.
29. Other men will overcome this gray and bitter moment where betrayal tries to impose itself
Treason was one of the causes of his murder.
30. The people must be alert and vigilant, always
For Allende, the people were the government.
31. With the difficulties of those who walk in an old car, we go from tumble to tumble, but moving forward, moving forward
The constitution of the new government was one tumult after another.
32. History will discover the liar
The truth always rises above the lie.
33. I am an intellectual, but also a loyal soldier to his people
Although he came from an intellectual and middle-class family, he was always faithful to his socialist ideas.
34. The people are stronger than the economy
Economy versus sovereignty, capitalism versus freedom.
35. No intellectual has authority over the professional
In this way he showed his support for the most disadvantaged classes.
36. Youth will live even if I die
Knowing his last days, he delivered this message from the Palacio de la Moneda.
37. They will make you believe that you are not right. Defend yourselves
They, the economic power.
38. Betrayal is the worst of enemies, the worst rival to fight against
Once again, betrayal reappears among his warnings.
39. We will have to believe it for the people to believe it.
Allende tried hard to convince his people of his project.
40. The worker has to be master of his effort
Once again, the worker is the epicenter of his struggle and ideas.
41. We are facing a frontal conflict over large transnational corporations and the states
The events in Chile were purely economic in nature.
42. It is all the politics of the world that is being enslaved
Globalization was a drag in the eyes of Salvador Allende.
43. It is our trust that increases faith in humanitarian values
Without conviction there is no progress.
44. There is no Prague spring here, it is Chilean
Chile was experiencing a historic moment.
45. I will pay with my life my loyalty to the people
Another show of loyalty to his cause.
46. Poor Pinochet, must be in prison
This is how Salvador mocked his political adversary.
47. Thank you, comrade, friend, commander of Latin American hope, Fidel Castro
As we saw earlier, Allende joined the Latin American socialist revolution.
48. I invite Fidel to Chile because I feel like it. I am the owner of the house and I invite who I want
With this exuberance he showed his admiration for the Cuban leader.
49. They arrived in powerful cars, young people who never worked
In this way Allende criticized his political opponents (wealthy upper class)
50. I am not the president of all Chileans, I am not a hypocrite
Even with all the majority support he had, he was always humble.
51. The Soviet Union, we call it Big Brother
He never hid his Marxism and predilection for the USSR.
52. I am not blind. I have normal eyesight and normal habits
He received harsh criticism of the policies he wanted to implement.
53. The university political leader is also a good university student
For Allende, being an academic by profession, he did not assume any moral authority.
54. The man of the developed countries has reached the moon dominating nature
The human being always wants to control everything.