We review the most outstanding famous quotes of this Canadian researcher.
Steven Pinker (18 September 1954) is a Canadian psychologist and writer, very popular today. In fact, a few months ago, he appeared on one of our lists as one of the 12 most influential psychologists today.
This exponent of evolutionary psychology has been interested in how our genetics predisposes us towards certain behaviors for greater adaptation, and how language is a product of the evolution of our species wrought by natural selection.
The most important phrases of Steven Pinker
In the following lines you can find some of the best Steven Pinker quotes.
1. Culture rests on neural circuitry that performs the feat we call “learning”
Although he has focused on the importance of genetics, Pinker believes that culture and learning are two closely related phenomena.
2. Everyone has a theory of human nature. We all have to anticipate the behavior of others, and that means we all need theories about what moves people
Human beings form hypotheses on a daily basis, since the simple relationship with others invites us to want to understand their behavior and anticipate it.
3. Contrary to popular belief, the gene-centered theory of evolution does not imply that the point of all human endeavor is to spread our genes.
A quote that refers to human evolution.
4. The mind is a neural computer
Neurons make up the human brain, and they allow us to think, feel, experience emotions, etc.
5. The mind is not the brain but is what the brain does; but not everything the brain does
A reflection on the unconscious of people.
6. Life is a series of deadlines that expire
Life must be enjoyed at every moment, because we will not relive the past.
7. As people get older, they mistake changes in themselves for changes in the world, and changes in the world with low morale; the illusion of old times
The elderly can be a time of great reflection on what life is and has been.
8. The special status of the brain comes from something special that it performs, that makes us see, think, feel, choose and act. This something special is the information process or computing.
A quote from his book: ” How the Mind Works: Computing and Evolution by Natural Selection “
9. News is about things that happen, never about things that don’t happen
The news that circulates aims to inform.
10. Since violence is largely a masculine pastime, cultures that allow women to steer clear of the exaltation of violence and are less likely to breed dangerous subcultures with uprooted youth
A reflection that invites the reader to think deeply.
11. Children instinctively acquire spoken language, but writing is learned only by the sweat of their brow, because spoken language has been a feature of human life for tens or hundreds of millennia, while writing was an invention. recent and spread very slowly
People learn to speak naturally, but we don’t write well until we go to school.
12. Genes are like a game within a game, not the players’ inner monologue
Pinker finds a similarity between genes and play.
13. As technology accumulates and more people from all over the world become interdependent, the hatred between them tends to decrease, for the simple reason that you cannot kill someone without killing the trade as well.
There is a relationship between the advancement of new technologies and capitalism.
14. The belief that human tastes are nothing more than reversible cultural preferences has led social planners to prevent people from enjoying ornamentation, natural light and human scale, and has forced millions of people to living in gray concrete boxes
A word that criticizes people who are passive towards cultural influence.
15. Solving a problem even within a hundred years is, for practical purposes, the same as never solving it
Problems must be solved in time, because the consequences can be negative if it is not done.
16. It is natural to think that living things must be the work of a designer. But it was also natural to think that the sun went around the earth. Overcoming naive impressions to find out how things really work is one of the highest callings of humanity
People should not be perfectionists, because it negatively influences our well-being.
17. It is not right for parents to hit, humiliate, deprive or abandon their children, because it is horrible for a big and strong person to do these things to a small and defenseless person.
Parents should be careful when punishing their children.
18. Whether adolescents smoke, run afoul of the law or commit serious crimes depends much more on what their peers do than on what their parents do
During adolescence, the weight of peers has a great weight in the behavior of adolescents.
19. The psychology of morality is multifaceted. There is no single answer about where morality is in the brain
Morality is a social construction, as Steven Pinker makes clear with this phrase.
20. In each moment that we choose, consciously or unconsciously, between good things for now and better things for later
People usually have expectations of a better future, it is what keeps us motivated.
21. Fiction is the technology of empathy
In order to act, it is necessary to have a good capacity for empathy.
22. Any ethnic group that has managed to reach today probably had aggressive ancestors in the not too distant past
Human beings have not evolved simply by preferring peace to war.
23. Nothing offers life more meaning than the realization that each moment of sensitivity is a precious gift
An appointment that invites questions about human existence.
24. The romantic idea that all evil is a product of society has justified the release of dangerous psychopaths who immediately murdered innocent people
Some social psychologists claim that being good or bad depends on the situation. Something that, according to Pinker, should be taken with a grain of salt.
25. Our visual systems can play tricks, and it is enough to show that they are instruments of untruth
The result of what we see is not reality, but our reality.
26. We will never have a perfect world, but it is not romantic or naive to work for a better one
To think that the world will be a paradise in which everyone will respect each other and social classes will not exist is a utopia.
27. I do not believe that evolution designed us to reproduce but to enjoy sex and love children
A Pinker Opinion on Sex and Reproduction.
28. A newborn is not a blank page
Pinker thinks that when we are born we are not a clean sweep.
29. I believe that the institutions that promote the search for truth, such as science, history and journalism, are aimed at strengthening this muscle of reality to a good extent.
In the author’s opinion, the search for the truth should be a primary value of people.
30. As technology accumulates and people from more parts of the planet become interdependent, hatred among them tends to decrease, for the simple reason that you cannot kill someone and trade with them at the same time.
Often times, the economy prevails over prejudices.